How much jewelry do you own? If you have a significant amount of jewelry, you may be counting on your home insurance policy to protect its value. Jewelry, depending on the amount of value, may need a special endorsement or rider, a type of additional policy added to your home insurance plan that specifically protects those items. Even if you do not have this, you should be taking steps to protect the value of these possessions.
Is Your Jewelry Protected?
Jewelry is the most common claim against household insurance. Home insurance will cover the loss, damage or theft of most jewelry, especially if it is documented on your policy. However, you'll likely still need to pay your deductible before that claim comes in, and there may be limits on how much you can claim. What's better is to take steps to properly protect your high-end jewelry so you can reduce the number of claims made.
How Can You Keep Your Jewelry Safe?
There are numerous steps to take to protect your valuable items. No matter if they are valuable for sentimental reasons or value, consider these tips.
- Keep jewelry in a locked safe or jewelry case in your home. This is especially important if you allow a lot of people to enter into your home on a regular basis, including people who may work for you, friends of your children or contractors.
- Ensure your jewelry is in good condition and properly maintained. One of the most common claims is for missing stones. These stones fall out as a direct result of poor maintenance on pieces.
- Don't leave jewelry in your car, at work or otherwise unprotected. Items being lost are quite commonly associated with misplacement by the person using them.
- Remove jewelry from your hands before engaging in activities that are more intense or could cause risk.
- Store very high-end items in a bank security box if it is not used frequently.
Taking these steps can help to minimize home insurance claims for jewelry and help you to keep your precious items safe. Too many claims can cause you to pay significantly more for home insurance, something you likely want to avoid.
We’ve got you covered. Call Marietta Insurance Services at 770-704-5000 for more information on Georgia home insurance.