Owning a home with a pool can be an exciting investment, but it’s critical to ensure that you have adequate insurance to protect yourself, your property and your finances. Homeowners with a pool should be well-educated on pool safety tips and insurance considerations.
Tips for Being a Responsible Pool Owner
Use the following safety tips for owning a pool to protect yourself and those who use the pool:
- Never leave children unattended near the pool. Designate a responsible adult as the designated pool supervisor to watch over swimmers at all times.
- Consider building a fence around the pool. If you have a home pool, install a secure fence around it with a self-closing and self-latching gate. This can prevent unsupervised access, particularly for young children.
- Enroll yourself and your children in swim lessons. Knowing how to swim is a fundamental skill that enhances safety around water.
- Ensure life jackets and arm floats are readily available. These are not substitutes for supervision but can provide an extra layer of safety.
- Establish and enforce pool rules with your family and guests. These rules can include no running, no diving in shallow water, and no horseplay.
- Keep a first-aid kit near the pool area. This will help to treat minor injuries promptly.
- Keep the surrounding area clear of clutter. Keep the pool area clear of toys and tripping hazards to prevent accidents.
- Avoid alcohol and substance use while swimming. Impaired judgment can lead to dangerous situations in and around the pool.
What Insurance Do You Need to Own a Pool?
While following these safety tips can significantly reduce the risk of pool-related accidents, accidents can still happen. That’s where proper insurance comes into play. If you want added protection, consider purchasing a personal umbrella policy. An umbrella policy helps provide liability coverage above the limits of your homeowners policy. It will kick in when you’ve exhausted the underlying insurance amount of your homeowners policy. A qualified insurance provider can help ensure you have adequate protection for any incident that could occur.
If you have any questions or concerns about your insurance and pool safety, contact Marietta Insurance Services. By taking safety precautions and having the right insurance in place, you can enjoy your pool while having peace of mind, knowing you’re prepared for any unforeseen circumstances.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.